Resin and Preservation of Instant

Resin is a material that I always wanted to try with, because of its transparency and stillness. I got one pot from the school shop and followed the basic resin tutorial on YouTube.

The following is my experiment piece, one step to mention is the mistake that I made while inserting the object into resin. As I charged the time wrongly, I couldn’t fit the whole flower in, thus I used a stick to insert petals in while it’s concreting, which resulted in cracks for the final outcome.

The intention behind this practice is the idea of preservation of instant moments or things happened. The first object that I chose is a flower that I received on my birthday on Oct.19th, it started to droop after few days and would eventually end its ‘life’, by preserving it in resin, the time of this flower stops on that day.

* An interesting thing to mention is: the flower went to droop faster after being put in resin, which is right against my original intention.

The flower received on Oct.19th

The problem of air bubbles was solved by putting resin into warm water

Following the same concept, I took some water from the Thames river at 11:45 am on Nov.2nd, therefore it is the amount of water that you can never find anywhere else. The act of keeping ordinary, almost non-significant objects in resin, raises the value and content of those objects. The object itself here is less important than the process and method of preservation.

Water from Thames on Nov.2nd

Using a tube to infuse the river water into resin

The following photos are final output of resins

A flower received on my 21st birthday, Oct.19th

10ml water from Thames River under Vauxhall Bridge on 11:45 A.M of Nov.2nd